Project BG 161PO004-4.0.01.0005
Vessel Traffic Management and Information Services (VTMIS) - Phase 3
Financed by the European Regional Development Fund on Operational Programme on Transport 2007 – 2013, Priority Axes 4 Improvement of the maritime and inland-waterway navigation
Total project cost: 39 145 118BGN.
Financing by the European Regional Development Fund: 27 815 666,79BGN.
National co-financing: 4 908 647,08BGN.
Own financing: 6 420 804,09BGN
Project Beneficiary: Bulgarian Ports Infrastructure Company
Project „Vessel Traffic Management and Information Services (VTMIS) - Phase 3” is approved by Decision No. OPT -24 of 17.05.2012 of CA of Operational Programme Transport 2007–2013. Within the framework of the Black Sea region Bulgaria is the first country which established a system of monitoring of ships with dangerous cargo and to protect the marine environment from pollution. Part of the system is already built and functioning.
- Expanding the coverage area of the system in the maritime space of the Republic of Bulgaria and the integration of all subsystems into single national maritime information system related to pan-European structures, in accordance with the current requirements of the European and international documents, through the implementation of the works under Activity 1 of the Project.
- Upgrading the telecommunications infrastructure that ensures full and continuous transmission of all data and voice through the implementation of the works on Activities 1 and 3 of the Project.
- Providing interaction with other information systems of government and department structures serving maritime transport through the execution of the works provided under Activities 1, 2 and 3 of the Project.
- Establishment of national centre of e-documents in the maritime transport of the Republic of Bulgaria centre through the execution of the works provided under Activity 2.
- Building of coastal centres for vessel traffic management and information services in Burgas and Varna through the execution of the works provided under Activities 4 and 5.
The Project will also meet set of conditions in OP „Transport” associated with the implementation of operations under Priority Axes 4, namely:
- Improving the safety and port infrastructure in the region and water area of the sea ports of the Republic of Bulgaria – will be attained by establishment and maintenance of a system for vessel traffic management and information services (VTMIS) as part of the Community System of vessel traffic monitoring and information service (SafeSeaNet).
- Building of coastal centres for vessel traffic management and information services in Burgas and Varna and establishment of centre for e-documents in the maritime transport of the Republic of Bulgaria
- Establishment and development of the navigational information systems – will be attained by the provided development and upgrade of the VTMIS in the third project phase, thus will be improved the overall efficiency of the system, the coverage of the Bulgarian Black Sea coast and will take place increasing the scope of shipping services.
- Activity 1: Expanding the scope and functions of the system VTS
- Activity 2: Establishing of National centre of e-documents in maritime transport (one-stop-shop)
- Activity 3: Upgrade and expansion of transmission media (RRS) and technological improvement of radio communication system GMDSS
- Activity 4: Construction of centre for vessel traffic management and Information services to shipping in Burgas
- Activity 5: Construction of centre for vessel traffic management and information services to shipping in Varna
- Activity 6: Construction supervision on Activities 1, 3, 4 and 5
- Activity 7: Technical assistance
- Transport: shipping and vessel traffic management services, shipowners, ship operators, leaders of ships, port operators, terminal operators, pilotage of ship traffic.
- Government institutions: EA Maritime Administration, GD Border Police, customs services, Bulgarian Food Safety agency, NAFA, investigative bodies, Navy.
- Commercial: shippers, freight forwarders, brokers and shipping agents commercial entities, participants in passenger and freight maritime traffic, port concessionaires.
- Bulgarian and foreign citizens: lancers sea tourism and recreational fishing
Main users are:
- Ships, arriving/leaving the Bulgarian ports or transiting ships in the sea waters of the Republic of Bulgaria.
- Institutional services dealing with vessel traffic management.
- Institutional services, dealing with the control of passengers and cargo in maritime transport.
- Institutional services, dealing with inspection and monitoring activities.
- Carriers of cargo in the logistic chain.
- Operators in the region.
- Investors and concessionaires.
- Performers of activities on the investment project that will create additional employment at the time of the planned activities.
- Safety – improving safety of navigation. The system provides information and navigation services. Provides communication with ships, provide and exchange information with the competent authorities in emergency and distress situations.
- Efficiency – increasing the efficiency of shipping. The system optimizes the management of ship traffic through the continuous exchange of information between Participants in the transport process and competent state authorities. Better planning of calls to ports and time for handling.
- Environmental protection – the system by constantly monitoring of the vessels traffic makes it possible to prevent emergencies involving spills. In a situation of contamination found make the information available to the competent government departments to identify potential offending ship.
The Project implementation will contribute to:
- Continuous monitoring of the maritime spaces of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Management of ship traffic in the ports; Burgas and Varna Bay; berths; raids; Varna and Beloslav Lake and the sea connecting channels;
- Create conditions for increasing efficiency in maritime search and rescue of distressed vessels;
- Increasing information provision to enhance the conditions for the protection of sea and coastal areas form pollution;
- Collecting and providing necessary information for shipping to all services that need it;
- Create conditions for maximum effective shipping business.
The present project „Vessel Traffic Management and Information Services (VTMIS) - Phase3” builds on projects implemented during the period 2000 – 2010. With the financial support of the Dutch government in the period 200 – 2001 was successfully implemented a pilot project (Varna Initial System).
In the period 2002-2008 under Programme PHARE is financed the implementation of VTMIS phase 1 and VTMIS phase 2. With own funds in the period 2009 – 2010 is implemented a pilot project for construction of Centre for information services to maritime transport - Varna, Burgas, in line with the trend of reducing the administrative barriers and facilitating maritime transport. As a result of the effective use of pre-accession funds, Bulgaria laid the foundations of the management system of ship traffic in the sea areas, part of the Community system of EU maritime surveillance.
- Pilot project (Varna Initial System - VIS) with the financial support of Programme PHARE and the Dutch government;
- Project BG 0012.01 – Bulgarian vessel traffic management and information system for navigation, financed under PHARE (period: 2002 – 2004)
- Project BG 2003/004-937.04.01 Vessel traffic management and information system for navigation - phase 2, financed under PHARE; (period: 2005 – 2007)
- Pilot project for construction of centre for information services to ports Varna and Burgas (2009 – 2010)
Main project contractors
- Contract № CEP-11/24.06.13 with MIDIA-DIANA COMERS ECOA to Design and engineering and equipment of buildings for coastal centres for management and information services to navigation in Burgas and Varna for the project „Vessel Traffic Management and Information Services (VTMIS) – Phase 3"
- Contract №CEP-21/13.12.2013 with Consortium „TRANSLINK” for delivery of equipment and construction assembly works for the project „Vessel Traffic Management and Information Services (VTMIS) – Phase 3”
More material for the project can be seen here
Project Manager: Zlatko Kuzmanov – Director Vessel Traffic Service Authority – Black sea
Tel. 052 684 930 e-mail: email@example.com